Old January 2nd 05, 10:35 AM
Tom Sherman

A Muzi wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

When I was 13, my bicycle was a Peugeot P-8 purchased new from Andrew
Muzi/Yellow Jersey that cost ~$260 (IIRC). This was a small fortune
(for me), and you can be assured I took care of it.

When I outgrew it in my late teens, I passed it on to a relative who
commuted on it for 10+ years, until it was destroyed by a pick-up
truck driver running a stop sign. Otherwise, I expect it would still
be in use 2+ decades later.

This was the low-end of the Peugeot range, but the ride, handling,
weight, braking and shifting performance made it much more enjoyable
to ride than the ~$80 hardware store "10-speed" it replaced.

That series was robotically fillet brazed and successfully sold in good
volume at $199 to $259 - a price where European lugged frames were
prohibitively expensive at the time. (Production later moved to ProCycle
Canada)

These are sought out by the thrift store cognoscenti. Their unfiled
joints don't look all that sharp but since Peugeot used a heavier down
tube and a much lighter top tube , combined with a classic geometry,
the handling and 'road feel' are exceptional. A 'category killer' new at
$259 and once again among the '$20 used ten speeds'.

I do recall the P-8 as the one bicycle I felt confident riding hands
off. I also rode it extensively in the snow, on gravel [1], and
moderate off-road conditions with no problems.

What road bicycles available today provide similar handling and
practicality? By practicality, I would include the ability to mount
tires of at least 32-mm in width AND fenders. And are any near the
inflation adjusted price of the P-8 ($450-500)?

[1] On club rides from a few year back, it was a common occurrence for
someone on a road bike with skinny tires (25-mm) to flat any time we
traversed a section of gravel road.

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island