Old July 9th 19, 11:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default French Leather Saddle Kaput?

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 14:00:35 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

This old French leather saddle was left on a bike outside covered with a tarp over the winter and spring and has developed a lot of SURFACE cracks. NONE of the cracks appear to be deep let alone go through the leather. Since these are just surface cracks my buddy wants to know if the saddle is kaput? The sheen on the saddle is from Mink Oil I applied a number of hours ago.

Thanks and cheers

Why not just get on and ride? Try a few short rides and see how it
works. Since if the cracks are minor it's unlikely that there will be
a catastrophic failure so injury is unlikely.

Leather boots that aren't cared for will frequently develop minor
cracks across where the toes bend and still last a long time.

--

Cheers,

John B.