Old July 10th 19, 02:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default 15mm axles on White Ind. rear road hubs

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 5:53:00 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/9/2019 10:57 PM, incredulous wrote:
What are these about? I’ve been offered a wheel set with these hubs.
I appreciate claims for ‘boost’, stronger axles and better fastening for down hill bikes. But, there are frames for them.
Is the 15mm axle of the White T11 compatible with any 130mm road bike dropouts?

Last: Good, better, and even best Shimano hubs have long given good service for touring and rando use.
Has this also proven true for White, Hope, and Chris King and similar?

Harry Travis
Portland Oregon USA

Don't know. Got a link?

There are very fat through-axle designs but standard QR hubs
with oversize axles aren't new. Phil made his rears 5/8"
(16mm) since 1971 (although necked to 15mm at the bearing
seats). Those are 110mm through 160mm width for various
applications.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/philcs.jpg

The T11 is a QR/130mm hub with a fat axle. It's the functional equivalent of the rear axle on my commuter, which is a 15mm through axle with QR adapters. Works fine in a standard drop out. If you're going to spend that kind of money, then you should get DT or Chris King because they have the distinctive angry bee freehub pawls, which sound like money. The T11 are pretty quiet IIRC, and people may think you're on low-budget hubs.They're nice hubs and should last. They are serviceable. A Ti freehub body, IMO, will get munged over time -- but not as bad as aluminum. It should not be a concern.

-- Jay Beattie.