Old July 10th 19, 10:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Le Tour and Comments

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 2:16:20 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 2:54:17 PM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:

In today's Tour they showed people getting "flats" fixed. Only they weren't messing around with the wheels - they were playing with the electronic shifting rear derailleurs. I saw two including Valverde - the World Champion - whom one would assume had the most attention paid to it.

Pros crash frequently. In crashes derailleurs get moved and shifting will suffer. I suspect all of the flat fixes you saw were really riders who had crashed previously and were not getting replacement bikes several minutes and miles down the road when the team car could get to them. In races you cannot sit on the side of the road waiting. You have to keep moving if your bike will allow it.

I sometimes adjust my gearing during rides. Stop and turn the rear derailleur cable tension screw one notch. Then ride a few miles and decide it was actually better before. So I stop again and turn the adjuster back to original. I suspect pros do the same thing. They think their shifting is bad or there is some other problem. Mechanics come by and try to fix it by hanging out the window. Or pretend to fix it. Or exchange bikes with the rider. Mechanic gets bike back to the truck in the evening and does the normal cleaning and nothing else. Because there is nothing wrong with the bike. Its all just made up by the rider. Ever watched a pro race where the mechanic hangs out the car window and adjusts the saddle height by one tenth of one millimeter? I have. Its utter nonsense this would make any difference. Or anyone would notice. The mechanics do it because the pro rider wants the attention. Nothing is fixed or adjusted. You also see pros getting a new bike automatically if they were at all involved in a crash or something. Does not matter if the bike is malfunctioning or not. They automatically get a new bike.

If you crash a CF bike they are replaced period. Please don't invent a world you would like to live in and present that as fact.