Old July 14th 19, 01:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Default Urban Cycling Video NYC

Tom Kunich wrote::
On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 8:01:43 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 1:57:36 AM UTC-4, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:

Running red lights is a no-no under any conditions and with anyone
regardless of experience.

You are generalizing a bit. Not "running" red lights has gotten
code-abiding citizens killed because the vehicle operator behind did
run it (or because of inadequate, flasherless dynamo taillights, of
course....)

Are you hinting that you know of multiple instances of cyclists being
hit from behind and killed because they did not run a red light?

Hey, where is daily freak accident narrowly escaped Joerg when I need one?
Multiple instances I do not know, the one I remember probably happened more
than a decade ago, I cannot remember a picture, the country, or details of
the cycle's equipment which I would certainly have been interested in. I'll
still heed competent locals' advice on proceeding to limit my exposure due
to street crime or during certain times of tacitly unpoliced (except when
called to accidents) drunk traffic.
If so, I'd be interested in details and documentation.

So would I, it's not in Schlueter's 6-year list of accidents, and the
searched terms I try to retrieve it from the interwebs bring up plenty of
other, much more common types of crashes. You can rightfully claim I have
no proof.

Like Frank I have to question your position on that.

Am I claiming regularly running red lights, even after checking for
conflicting traffic, is safer than stopping? No, not because it is illegal
to do so, but because nobody is perfect. It takes me too much care to do it
with an very slim margin of error, all while also estimating the likelihood
of getting ticketed.

What sort of lanes
do you have in which a car cannot pass a bicycle in the same lane?

Unless it's a gutter bunny, most regular lanes ...
https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTU2WDEyODA=/z/gLQAAOSw3AFcpZRT/$_107.JPG
:-)

It's not the lane's fault, but the (impaired, distracted, ...) driver's.