Old February 5th 09, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Traffic Light Detectors

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 09:45:23 +0000, Frood wrote:

wrote:
On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 16:11:06 +0000, Frood wrote:

wrote:

The Highway Code endorses filtering (Ian Smith)

He just can't find where it does so.

160

Once moving you should...
...be aware of other road users, especially cycles and
motorcycles who may be filtering through the traffic. ...

211

It is often difficult to see motorcyclists and cyclists, especially when
they are coming up from behind, coming out of junctions, at roundabouts,
overtaking you or filtering through traffic. Always look out for them
before you emerge from a junction; they could be approaching faster than
you think. ...

HTH.

Fascinating - so you take both of those paragraphs as "endorsing"
filtering do you?

It describes it as an action that happens on the road and that other
road users should be aware of. Nowhere does it say that it "should not"
or "must not" be done. It tells car drivers that filtering is OK -
otherwise the wording would be "...overtaking you or illegally filtering..."
The mere fact that it is presented as it is endorses it as a legal action.

Rubbish - stating that something happens does not endorse it.

"look well ahead for obstructions in the road, such as drains,
pot-holes"

The Highway Code therefore endorses pot-holes in roads?

"watch out for doors being opened or pedestrians stepping into your
path"

The Highway Code therefore endorses pedestrian stepping in to your
path?

"When approaching a junction on the left, watch out for vehicles
turning in front of you"

The Highway Code therefore endorses vehicles turning in front of you
as you approach a junction?

If it said "be aware of drunks in the road" - would that be endorsing
"drunks in the road"?

Where does the highway code say that?

I didn't say it did. It is in the category of those I quote above -
if the Highway Code mentioned them - it would not be endorsing them

It tells to be aware of people who are performing legal and well
understood/expected manoeuvres.

And to be aware of the unexpected and illegal as I quote above.

PS your Highway Code is out of date.

Taken from the Directgov website.

(My mistake - I have two Word versions - where I had been comparing
changes - apologies)

just in case you still don't see what endorsing means, the OED offers
these clarifications:

1) To declare one's approval of.

2) To confirm, sanction, countenance, or vouch for (statements,
opinions, acts, etc.; occasionally, persons), as by an endorsement.

(You'll be telling me that the DfT endorses Cyclecraft next ;-)