Old September 30th 09, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Broken steel road bike fork

On Sep 30, 12:19*am, jim beam wrote:
On 09/29/2009 09:04 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Sep 29, 10:40 pm, jim *wrote:

The sudden step in cross section causes a stress concentration that
leads to cracking.

which is why it's not a straight cross section, it's got curved features
that mitigate - effectively radius reduction, a standard fatigue
mitigation technique.

Not surprisingly, jim beam has things exactly backwards. *When
blending a transition from a larger sized piece (like the lug) to a
smaller sized piece (like the fork blade) the idea is to increase, not
decrease the radius. *The ultimate in radius _reduction_ would be a
sharp corner, which generates a high stress concentration. *Large
radii are the opposite and generate lower stress concentrations.

you're a fraud and moral retard krygowski. *you knew exactly what i
meant before you tried putting false words in my mouth - the concept of
decreasing radius sharpness is something so simple and obvious...

"jim," I didn't put words in your mouth. I quoted exactly what you
said.

You had it exactly backwards. If you had any class at all, you'd have
simply said "Oops, my mistake. I meant to say..."

- Frank Krygowski