Old April 27th 04, 11:00 PM
daveornee

Default Duct Tape reduces vibration!

Wayne Pein wrote:
At a recent race I was oogling a friend's new Merckx Team SC. Gorgeous
blue purple with full Record, including carbon cranks. I asked him about
the carbon wrapped chainstays, an advertised feature, and he replied
that they were for vibration damping, saying that having the tubes
externally wrapped with something did this. He demonstrated the effect
by knocking on the top tube to produce a sound, then wrapped his palm
around the tube and knocked again, resulting in a muffled sound.
I then asked if duct tape wrapped around the bike would have the
same effect.
Silence.
Wayne

Did you put the duct tape over his mouth? ... maybe that would explai
the silence. I just couldn't resist. I see duct tape wrapped bicycle
often, but I assumed it was to cover their identity and make them looo
real ugly. Maybe those bicycle messengers just don't tell us about thei
vibration reduction solution

-