Old April 28th 04, 06:40 AM
Jacobe Hazzard

Default Duct Tape reduces vibration!

Luke wrote:
In article , daveornee
wrote:

Did you put the duct tape over his mouth? ... maybe that would explain
the silence. I just couldn't resist. I see duct tape wrapped bicycles
often, but I assumed it was to cover their identity and make them
loook real ugly. Maybe those bicycle messengers just don't tell us
about their vibration reduction solution.

Well I don't know about vibration reduction. But the rationale behind
the wrapping of (main triangle) tubes by messengers is to provide
protection for the bike. Hastily tossing and (free)locking your bike
against a wall or post 50+ times a day mutilates the frame in short
order.

Never used duct tape though. Cork tape was the preference.

luke

I've always wondered about messengers and locking bikes. Do they lock up
the wheels, or just the frame? I can see that a lot of messenger bikes
will have good strong wheels, and some of them will want QR skewers, but I
can't see taking the time to pull off a wheel or use a separate cable lock
at each stop, so what's the deal? I seem to remember you're in Toronto, so
maybe you can give me the local persepctive?

As for the OP I really don't think you can compare tubes wrapped in duct
tape to tubes gripped by a fleshy hand. This seems a really foolish
'proof' that the tape works. Unless the amount of tape you use weighs as
much as an arm..