Old November 11th 04, 02:03 AM
Neil Cherry

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:50:24 -0500, Badger wrote:
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:27:47 -0600, Neil Cherry wrote:

If you mean temperatures below 50F and rain may I suggest that you
don't. I did a double century in 56F and rain (mid June) and it just
plain sucked. There is no enjoyment (even from the absurd) and you
need to be wary of hypothermia. For those of us with asthma it's even
worse as it can cause breathing problems. I'll ride in the cold as I
can dress OK down to 32F. After that it depends on the amount of wind
and sun. No or little wind and sun I'm good to about 18F. But when it
comes to rain I prefer not to below 70F and definitely not below 60F.

I can see that. I'll ride down to 45 F in the rain, but I got neoprene
booties for the Gekos, and I'll be wearing latex gloves under the cycling
gloves, I think, next time. If that doesn't work, guess I'll spring for the
neoprine gloves.

It may just be me as I don't like the cold. Heat I can handle, cold I
have trouble with. Most of the people I ride with find it weird that I
still wear long sleeve jerseys into the 70's. But when it comes to
rain and cold I suffer. I'll still ride into the cold days of winter
but I start having breathing problems after the rides (wheezing and
lung conjestion). It's the one thing that limits my riding. That and I
hate the cold feeling I have for the rest of the day inside the core
of my body.

BTW, I've had trouble with neoprene. Since it hold the sweat I found
it made me colder except for my feet. I still use thick wool socks and
I make sure that nothing is tight or too loose fitting (socks, shoes,
pants, shirt, head wear or gloves) as that cuts off circulation and
will also make you cold.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)