Old November 11th 04, 02:56 AM
Badger

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:03:50 -0600, Neil Cherry wrote:

It may just be me as I don't like the cold. Heat I can handle, cold I
have trouble with. Most of the people I ride with find it weird that I
still wear long sleeve jerseys into the 70's. But when it comes to
rain and cold I suffer. I'll still ride into the cold days of winter
but I start having breathing problems after the rides (wheezing and
lung conjestion). It's the one thing that limits my riding. That and I
hate the cold feeling I have for the rest of the day inside the core
of my body.

Oddly, on the bike I'm out riding in 90-95 degree days and it feels cool
with the wind blowing. I keep looking at the temp and thinking, man, I'm
gonna fry. However I will frequently ride in extra gear in the heat when
I'm trying to acclimate to even hotter temps.

The important thing is to realize your limitations and work with them, as
you've done.

BTW, I've had trouble with neoprene. Since it hold the sweat I found
it made me colder except for my feet. I still use thick wool socks and
I make sure that nothing is tight or too loose fitting (socks, shoes,
pants, shirt, head wear or gloves) as that cuts off circulation and
will also make you cold.

Yeah, I'm thinking the experiment is still in progress for what to wear on
the hands when it's wet -and- cold. But I think the neoprene booties will
be a big plus, in that it keeps the shoes from getting wet. I rarely get
cold feet, but temps are not that extreme in central Va. The coldest I've
ever ridden was 10deg F, so Peter's 'subzero' group has me beat.

Basically, since I'm a 'ride everyday' guy, I've only let deep snow and
flooding stop me (so far). Oh, and hurricanes (Aug 03). (lol). Fortunately
the climate is mild here.

You'd have gotten a laugh out of seeing me do 16 repeats on the 1/2 mile of
clear bike trail a couple days last winter. It was just pathetic...lol. Oh
well. ;-)

-B

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry