Old November 30th 04, 03:40 PM
SlowRider

(Maggie) wrote in message . com...
Riding would just be fun if I did not have to change when I arrived at
the office. How do you handle this if you have to wear business
clothes to work, do you bring them with you? This seems like a real
chore. I would love to have the bike at work during lunch. Since I

From what you've said I'd guess there's no shower available to you at
work, which is a shame.

Ideally you can ride slowly enough that you don't sweat, but that's
easier said than done. If you've got a short commute - say 1-3 miles
- then you can probably find a pace that allows you to get there
without sweating. (You can do it for longer distances, but it takes
discipline to maintain such a slow pace.) In any case, you should be
able to find a pace that allows you to freshen up with a washcloth in
a bathroom sink.

As for clothes, it depends a little on how formal your office is. I
usually stow some clothes in my desk drawer -- pants I'll wear all
week, plus a dress shirt or sweater for Important Meetings(tm). If
you need to dress up every day, you can probably do something similar,
but you may need to be creative. Or if you've got wrinkle-resistant
clothes, you can probably carry them in a knapsack or pannier (it's
really not bad) and just stow a pair of shoes at the office.

The other thing to remember is to be prepared for bicycle-related
challenges (some of these I'm sure you already know). Make sure you
know how to change a flat. Carry tire tools, at least one spare tube,
a patch kit and a good pump. Carry a cell phone or enough change to
make a phone call. Make sure drivers can see you: if there's any
chance you'll be riding in the dark, be sure you've got working
lights. Get a mirror for your helmet or your handlebars.

Commuting brings cycling into your life in a unique way. Once you're
used to it, you can look for long loops that take you home in the
evening. (Actually, a "slow" ride in the morning and a "real" ride in
the evening is a pretty good system.) There are few things more
satisfying than leaving the office and heading out for an hour of
pleasant riding before you get home.

JR