Old June 5th 21, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default One up, one down

On Fri, 28 May 2021 13:35:00 -0700 (PDT), marika
wrote:

I like things that are made with bechamel sauce.
I just discovered that bechamel and “white sauce”
are the same thing so I’ll look for that too.
I remember seeing “brown sauce” in the store, perhaps
there was white there too and I didn’t notice it.

mk5000

I have found that adding a some lemon juice and melting
in a bit of shredded cheddar cheese (optional) makes this
a decent substitute for hollandaise sauce when you put it
on poached or over easy eggs. It's good for when you don't
want sacrifice four egg yolks just to make a sauce that also
goes on top of eggs.--sam coulter

I wonder whether Wikipedia still contains the fatuous remark that
[Famous] Sauce couldn't possibly have been named after [Famous]
because it's based on bechamel, and thickened milk wasn't called
"bechamel" until long after [Famous] died. How is this wrong? Let me
count the ways.

Alas, I don't recall enough detail to look the sauce up again.

I have, somewhere around here, a first-edition copy of the Fanny
Farmer School Kitchen cookbook. The entire first lesson is dedicated
to learning how to boil water. (Most of the time was spent getting
the coal range going. Paper to light the kindling, kindling to light
the wood, wood to light the coal.)

When I was in Home Ec, the equivalent "ease them in at the shallow
end" was "how to make white sauce". Like the art of lighting the
stove (how I appreciate "turn the knob and wait for the 'poof!'"!),
the techinques used for white sauce are used to make many other dishes
-- not just sauces and gravies, but puddings, pie fillings, and the
like. Come to think of it, taco meat is white sauce, with a pound of
hamburger instead of two tablespoons of butter, a packet of taco
seasoning instead of flour, and water instead of milk.

And brown gravy is white sauce with a dirty skillet instead of butter.
One might also scorch the flour a little.

It being asparagus season, here's my recipe for creamed eggs with
asparagus:

Asparagus

One or two boiled eggs, cut into pieces, and/or duck confit or ham

Two tablespoons of butter

Two tablespoons of whole-grain wheat flour

salt to taste

One cup whole milk

A thin cracker-size slice of aged extra-sharp cheddar, cut into
pieces.

If you plan to use all the asparagus, cut diagonal paper-thin slices
off the tough ends, cutting thicker slices as you get into the tender
part. The last two pieces should be about an inch long -- set them
aside to add just before stirring in the cheese

If you plan to save some asparagus for later, cut the spears into
uniform lengths by cutting paper-thin diagonal slices off the tough
ends.

Melt butter in a skillet and stir the asparagus around in it until the
color brightens,

Dump in the flour and stir around until well mixed with the butter.
Then add milk little by little while stirring constantly. When it is
white sauce, stir in the cheese. Do not allow the sauce to boil after
adding the cheese.

Add the eggs or meat, stir until hot, and serve from the skillet, with
toast or brown rice on the plates.

Or toasted English muffins, or fresh biscuits, or . . .

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net