Old June 13th 18, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Chain waxing

On 6/13/2018 10:59 AM, Duane wrote:
On 12/06/2018 8:56 PM, James wrote:
On 13/06/18 08:53, Frank Krygowski wrote:

But now we have true global communication; and people emotional
evolution isn't up to it. We hear about someone on literally the
opposite end of the earth having wallaby problems while bicycling,
and many people seem to say "Damn! I'd better get better brakes on my
bike! No telling where those wallabies will pop out next!"

Strange. I don't recall hearing "many people" say that.Â* Not even
seeming to say it.Â* Are the voices you hear in your head, by chance?

Some skeptics look instead at the data on bike crash causes and say
"I might hit a dog once every million miles; less often if I watch
out for them. I think I'll just watch out for them."

But math is hard.

I ran over a wallaby's tail while descending a small mountain some
years back, and now that I live where there are a lot of wallabies and
kangaroos, I certainly do watch out for them.Â* I most certainly
haven't thought about getting better brakes, just as I haven't heard
"many" others say anything like that.

Perhaps I'm not hearing the same voices in my head as you, Frank.

I had an aligator cross highway 11 in front of me outside of New Orleans
once.Â* He was a baby though, only 4 or 5 feet and seemed more concerned
with getting out of the sun than bothering me.Â* I don't watch out for
them very much, especially as there aren't many in Quebec.

Maybe three years ago, my wife and I biked around some of Okefenokee
National Wildlife Refuge. We rode right by alligators dozing at the
roadside. My wife was nervous to even be in a boat near alligators, so I
was amazed she consented to ride near them.

But it was cool weather and they were about as lively as logs. No
emergency braking (nor sprinting) was necessary.

I'm not sure what this has to do with data tracking or chain waxing or
whatever.

Topic drift happens. Get used to it.

--
- Frank Krygowski