Old January 15th 19, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default performance brick and mortar adieu?

On 1/15/2019 9:10 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 7:35:17 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 1/14/2019 7:47 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Maybe we can get the NG to put together some cash and make a bid for Nashbar. We can change it back to Bike Warehouse and recreate the '70s-'80s catalog offerings. http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/BikeWarehouse-80/

I could us a few Belt Beacons for $8.95 each.

Well, according to the inflation calculator, that's $57.35 in 2017 dollars. Hmmmm. We can beat that! Get some Alibaba $1 tail lights and put them in cut-off beer cans or little plastic pots with with belt attachments and amber trailer light lenses. Sell them to the hard-core retro crowd -- the guys who are buying up all the handlebar bags. We'll be hundredaires!

-- Jay Beattie.

In two weeks, my City Council and I have to interview candidates for our
Bicycle-Pedestrian Commission. As mayor this year, I have some leeway to
set up the interview process. I think that I will bring one of my old
Belt Beacons into the interviews and ask each candidate to identify it
and to tell me what kind of battery it uses. Those that know what it is,
who manufactured it, and that it uses a 9V battery, move forward in the
selection process. But I may have a hard time filling all the openings.

https://i1.wp.com/farm7.static.flickr.com/6160/6189987842_f74e520725.jpg?resize=500%2C300
https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTI1MFgxMDE1/z/Px0AAOSwQS1bhhvg/$_1.JPG