Old June 6th 04, 04:08 PM
Frank Krygowski

Default Balance

wrote:

I recently had some work done on my bike. Since getting it back from the
shop it feels like it pulls to the right. The work I had done was related to
the drive on the right side of the bike and new parts were installed. Is it
possible that this has thrown off the bike's balance? Has anyone ever
experienced this? Is there anyway to check a bike's balance and then correct
it if it is off?

It's not the bike's "balance." It's more likely the bike's wheel
alignment. They may not have the rear wheel in straight. (They may not
have the front wheel in straight, but it sounds like they worked in the
back.) The other potential cause is a bent frame or fork, but if your
bike rode fine before the shop visit, that's an unlikely cause.

Look at the back wheel, where the tire passes between the chain stays
(the two frame tubes just behind the crankset). Is the spacing between
the tire and those frame tubes even on the left and right? If not, the
wheel's crooked in the frame.

Loosen the rear quick release lever (or axle nuts, whichever you have),
pull the axle all the way back in the dropout slots and re-tighten, then
check again. Still crooked? Loosen again and "steer" the wheel
straight before re-tightening. If you've got axle nuts, it's sometimes
helpful to leave the right one tight and loosen only the left before you
steer the wheel straight.

But now that you've fussed with it, check to be sure the wheel's
straight between the brake shoes. You don't want it to drag the brakes,
even a little.

The front wheel is usually easier. With the bike on the ground, just
loosen the axle's quick release or nuts, push down on the handlebars to
force the wheel & axle firmly up into the fork ends, then re-tighten and
check the brakes.

There are more precise measurements we could discuss, but those moves
will usually take care of things.

--
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]