Old December 29th 04, 02:23 PM
Ron Hardin

A Muzi wrote:
Get one that fits. Open bearing assemblies, grease them and
adjust properly. Spend a bit of time lubricating and
adjusting the brake and gear systems. Tension the wheels and
ride it.

Fix what needs fixing when it proves it needs fixing. If you have
a tinkering fixation, that's another matter. You may enjoy it.

My Huffys work fine until something needs attention, and then I
attend to it. Bearings never have needed opening. Lubricate the
chain when it squeaks.

Every 10k miles or so, replace BB chainwheel chain and freewheel
together, when the chain finally starts popping off the chainwheel
startups. Huffy sells replacements over the phone.

The wheels are the best I've ever had, in not needing any attention
at all. I have 48k miles on the rear wheel, and it carries 40 lbs
of groceries a good part of the time too. No wobble, no squeak, no
anything. It's a MTB rim of course.

Mostly it's brake adjustment or freeing-up, or the great transmission
periodic replacement paroxysm.

Oh a wheel bearing needed a squirt of 3-in-1 last year. It was
squeaking.

These aren't Campy parts that you might want to have a fascination with.

--
Ron Hardin