Old June 25th 19, 12:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Steel is Real and Carbon is Lighter

On 6/24/2019 11:09 AM, wrote:
On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 1:01:32 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:

The assurance of a credible seller that a CF frame has not been crashed is probably adequate. I'm sure Lou was honest about his crash history, if any.

There are certain simple rules you have to follow when buying, using and for decent people also selling a high end CF bike. The rules are simple and you can look them up. I used that bike for 8 years with an average milage of 3500 km/yr. I wiped out in a corner once at low speed and my body (elbow and hip) took the hit. Only one of the limit screws of the rear derailleur was scratched a bit. Do you think I would sell a high end CF bike that took a severe hit to a friend or a stranger?
I mentioned it before, if you want to throw a bike in the back of a pick-up truck, stay away from 800 gr CF frames.

I cringe when I see how some people treat their CF frames. For example,
you want to use a specific type of car rack for a CF frame, one that
holds the bike by the wheels and that does not clamp the frame, but I
often see carbon fiber frame bicycles being carried incorrectly, with
the frame tubes tightly clamped into a rack. It only takes one time to
permanently damage the frame.

There are plenty of carbon-fiber car racks available now, but if you
didn't have a carbon fiber frame in the past you probably didn't spend
the extra money for such a rack. Alternatively you can buy a "carbon
fiber frame adaptor" i.e. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0741DNNR7 which
spreads out the pressure from the clamp over a larger surface area to
prevent damage to the frame. Additional caution needs to be taken with
carbon fiber wheels to avoid compressing the rim during transport (pipe
foam is suggested by one person that writes on the subject, see the Car
Racks section of
https://www.carlhart.com/how-to/how-to-care-for-carbon-bikes-and-parts-pg220.htm.
And of course you shouldn't use a fork mount rack on a carbon fork with
carbon dropouts but most carbon forks now use alloy dropouts but there
are still some with carbon dropouts.

I wouldn't buy a used carbon fiber framed bicycle from someone I didn't
know to be honest and trustworthy, there is just too much risk in doing so.

Also, when it comes to used carbon fiber bicycles you're losing the
"lifetime warranty" which is what drives up the price of the name brand
CF bikes in the first place. Unless you're getting a heck of a deal, you
may want to look into one of the lesser known brands. You can buy a full
carbon Fuji with Ultegra for $1500, and other full-carbon models are
even less.