Old September 27th 03, 01:06 PM
Lester Long

Default Klein vs. Trek (crossposted)

"Nick Burns" wrote in message
m...
"RK" wrote in message
patch70 wrote in message
If I remember correctly, aren't Klein & Trek made by the same people?

If
so, the geometry is unlikely to be very different. Thus, go with the

one
you find more comfortable.

Lemonds are made by Trek, and the geometry is very different -- longer
top-tube, more seattube setback, to accomodate the longer femur that
professional racers tend to have.

This is mostly true. The only time it was not true was when the Lemond

brand
was purchased without any real design properties. IOW, they wanted the

name
and the rest would come later, so they slapped some Lemond decals on
existing Trek models but measured them c-t while Trek normally measures

c-c.
This made it look like the Lemond bike were "really long for the *femur*"
(get over it Greg) and it worked from a marketing standpoint. In defense

of
Trek, they did have Greg pen some designs (or at least have the designers
use some of his published design preferences) and now they do have

exclusive
geometry and design AFAIK.

With regard to Klein, this company was purchased several years ago and

Gary
Klein has thus far been able to maintain every aspect of his design
uniqueness. This says good things about both Trek and Klein, IMO.

Still, Klein and Trek may use slightly different approaches, but they are
going after the same market do their fit is not going to be terribly
different from one another, but the larger scale of the Trek line does

allow
the "WSF" models, which AFAIK are not available with Klein.

This thread is taking a *.tech flavor, so...I suggest if it continues

along
these lines it should be cross-posted and \ or moved over. (Although I

don't
care, since many tech issues are race related, so whatever you dudes

want).

Thanks for all the great replies to my thread!

My wife is 5'-11" and has a 34" inseam, and was told that she needs a 60cm
bike. The WSF models are all too small for her, and thus she's confined to
the men's models. I guess my question is a difficult one to answer, since
both bikes are targeted to the same market.

Regards,
Lester