Old June 9th 19, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Protecting yourself

On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 19:23:36 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 9:43:37 PM UTC-4, Radey Shouman wrote:

Cell-phone parking lots at airports seem like a really good reason to
call someone to say, "I just landed". They save a lot of parking fees
and time loafing around outside the security checkpoint.

I agree with that.

It's not that cell phones are never useful. But they are grossly over-used.

They're also seductive. Obviously, I rode for decades without one, because they
didn't exist. Then my wife had to get one for her work, in which she traveled
a lot.

When she and I both retired, she essentially gave it up, so I took it over. Now
it seems silly to do a bike ride without taking it along. And the few times it
does ring when I'm on a ride, it's very difficult to not answer it, or at least
check to see who's calling. :-/

But I do reject most of those calls. And I reject all of them while I'm driving.

- Frank Krygowski

I carry a phone on rides primarily because when I broke my hip and was
laying on the side of the road, in considerable pain, I was able to
call my wife and she drove the pickup down, threw the bike in the rear
and loaded me in the front and took me to the hospital.

In fact, I recently bought a new "old style" phone just for cycling.
The sort that you can only talk on as it is small, light, and fits in
my pocket easily.
--
cheers,

John B.