Old June 15th 19, 11:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Protecting yourself

On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 10:50:06 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 13:50:00 +0700, John B.
wrote:

A recent news article stated that Chinese companies are considering
building re-cycling plants in the U.S.
https://resource-recycling.com/plast...cycling-plans/

It's been proposed that US manufacturing companies be responsible for
recycling their own products after their useful life has ended. That
won't work because too much of our consumables and durable goods are
imported and we're unlikely to be shipping garbage around the country
back to the where it was manufactured. Even of US factories, shipping
garbage around the country is too expensive. At best, this might
inspire a redesign of some products into something that could be more
easily recycled.

I recently read something about California having PET bottles with
some code that indicated that they were "refundable" like the glass
beer bottles were in years gone by.

However, I'm wondering if these proposed Chinese owned recycling
plants are in anticipation of such a law being passed where the
Chinese do the processing (for a hefty fee).

Meanwhile, recycling in Mexico looks promising:
https://mxmarketintelligence.wordpress.com/2019/02/12/mexicos-plastics-recycling-industry/

As I said, PET bottles are readily re-sellable here so apparently the
recycling industry is alive and well. As Frank has noted one reason
for the re-cycling business in the U.S. being less than profitable is
the difficulty of designing machines for separating the garbage into
various categories. Here, on the ether hand, where wages are
significantly lower than "THERE", hand separation is well and
thriving. In fact, some years ago , I worked on a garbage recycling
project where the raw garbage was to be simply dumped onto long
conveyer belts and hand picked by multitudes of people.
--
cheers,

John B.