Old June 24th 19, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default BB standard

On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 14:51:23 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 1:34:14 PM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
It baffles me a bit that bike manufacturers keep moving incrementally towards the American pattern BB, which has always worked but which they somehow pretend doesn't exist. Why ignore a time-proven design that is free and open, to make a half-assed approximation of it that has problems?

You are expecting engineers to all have the same educations and the same historic knowledge. In fact most engineers believe themselves smarter than those who came before. We are seeing the same thing with the Millennial Generation wo think that older people are stupid and they are God's gift to the universe.

Certainly true and apparently has been true since man started walking
erect and very likely due to two things. One that the world is
changing and unless you keep up with it you are "stupid" in the sense
that you know less than someone with a more modern education. On the
other hand "modern chaps" will often not know stuff that an older
person will think "everybody knows that".

An engineer that worked for me used to tell a story about how he had
been tasked with designing a wooden bridge and couldn't find a thing
concerning wooden bridge building in any of his engineering books. He
finally located an old retired engineer who had worked 30 or 40 years
for the railroad and had designed and built wooden bridges who told
him "all the secrets".
--
cheers,

John B.