Old June 25th 19, 05:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default When Cyclists Made Up an Entire Political Bloc

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 8:06:55 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 4:00:36 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/24/2019 1:41 PM, jbeattie wrote:

Gas tax and related fees have paid most if not all road construction and maintenance costs in Oregon after the 1920s -- and in most states. Same with the interstate highways.

Huh.

Voters in this village were asked to pass a special levy for road
repaving a couple years ago. The mayor stood in the middle of my street
for the large photo in the newspaper.

The levy passed. The mayor's street was the first one paved. Mine is
still in the same horrible condition, and isn't scheduled for paving
this year.

I try to look on the good side and pretend it's natural traffic calming..

Portland's approach was more conventional -- a gas tax. https://www.planetizen.com/news/2019...s-tax-may-2020 I think a levy is unfair and places the burden of public infrastructure disproportionately on homeowners.

I bet if you had an Easypass system charging a dime to every car driving into
Portland's city limits from Washington, Beaverton, Hillsville etc. you could
drop the property taxes to zero.

- Frank Krygowski