Old June 25th 19, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default When Cyclists Made Up an Entire Political Bloc

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 13:22:45 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 16:31:48 +0700, John B. wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 07:40:49 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 12:47:19 +0700, John B. wrote:

Do you really believe that cyclists were the determining factor in the
building of better roads?

Yes, but we just needed tracks and not a whole road.

"You wouldn?t know it now but in the 1890s Australia had the largest
bicycle path network in the world. As the long distance cycling centre
of the world for many years, Australia provides many of the most
fascinating stories from cycling?s early days. Wheeling Matilda: The
Story of Australian Cycling by Jim Fitzpatrick documents many of these
stories, with an account of almost 150 years of bicycling in Australia."

https://treadlie.com.au/wheeling-matilda/

And I've got a copy of the third edition of touring guide for motorists
produced in the early 1900's which was researched on a bicycle. The guy
was actuaslly producing them to selling as part of his business to sell
attire to eary motorists. Name escapes me atm.

And I read that of the some 913,000 kilometers of roadways in Australia
some 353,331 Km of the roads are paved (:-0)

It would be heavily weighted towards all the residential street on the SE
coastal strip, plus the national higways. a lot of inland and farm stuff
woud be gravel/unsealed. If you really want to tour in this country, you
best be happy with gravel roads and camping everywhere.

I used to crew change from the Irian Jaya copper mine through Darwin
but the only time I have actually visited Australia was a few years
ago when I visited a friend in Perth for a week and the friend's
brother was getting his wife's car ready for a trip to eastern
Australia. I was really amazed to see that he was mounting racks to
carry extra fuel and water.

As an aside, I've always thought that Australians talked sort of funny
and when I was in Darwin several people mentioned my "funny accent"
:-)
--
cheers,

John B.