Old June 27th 19, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: My first batch of switchel

Wednesday, 26 June 2019

The weather allowed an all-day ride today.

As I was packing a pint bottle with eight ounces of concentrate in it,
planning to use two ounces, I reflected that I need to find a smaller
honey bottle.

It turned out that the concentrate was weaker than I'd thought, and I
refilled more often than I expected, so I killed the batch. I'd still
like an eight-ounce honey bottle. I checked at Aldi on my last stop;
they do have twelve-ounce bottles of honey, but they are shaped like
bears. Won't do at all.

The switchel worked quite well, and I felt good all the way. I
planned twenty-one miles, but made a couple of wrong turns that
brought it to at least 23.4. One of the wrong turns re-aquainted me
with 8-Square Road. It's a pity that it's impossible to find
information about road names with search engines. I did finally find
out that Silveus Crossing goes through land once owned by someone
named Silveus -- but the story about it being a bridge over the Tippy
isn't compatible with the name "Silveus Crossing" ending nearly a mile
north of the Tippy.

Thought it was farther than that. The Tippy slants a lot through
here. (Not to mention the usual meanders.)

Thursday, 27 June 2019

The Goodwill store is about five miles from here. While I was getting
ready to leave Goodwill for Walmart, where I intended to eat a pizza
and change into cycling shoes for serious riding, another customer
remarked that she's seen me at the teller machine in Winona Lake. "My,
you've come a long way!" I smiled and agreed.

On the way to Goodwill, I saw a hollyhock in full bloom beside the
Beyer Farm Trail. Hollyhocks look much prettier among weeds than in
gardens.

I have a quarter cup of rice soaking in a cup of water, together with
a half dozen crumbs of achiote and a few mustard seeds. Tonight I'll
add a half pint of PBL's bread-and-butter syrup, two stalks of
rhubarb, ginger, and another cup of water.

I've remembered that when I carried concentrate in salad-dressing
cups, it was fresh-squeezed lemon juice frozen with equal parts of
honey -- and almost impossible to scrape out of the cup into the
bottle. I remember leaving a cup in the sun while I went into a
store, hoping that the honey would thin.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/