Old July 17th 08, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Default Take meditation or take a gun

On Jul 17, 3:53*pm, " wrote:

Carrying a concealed weapon is not easy to do for a cyclist, and then
drawing first would be even more difficult. Cagers already have a
weapon in their hand: their vehicle.

1) Carrying concealed on a bicycle is easy, unless you're insistent on
skin-tight clothing. *A baggy shirt and a good holster accomplishes
wonders.

2) The situation in question here involved the cyclist stopped,
arguing with a man on foot and getting shot & robbed. *Not really
relative to car vs. gun combat.- Hide quoted text -

I've thought we didn't know that. Anyway *I* had an incident that
would have called for a gun if I had one, or for law and order on our
roads...

I was riding causeway "X" with my girlfriend, taking the lane, two
lanes in each direction, nearly no traffic, signs say bikes must be
walked along bridges' sidewalks, 3 bridges ranging from 200 to 900
feet... First incident: Policeman waves me off the road
(indifference)... Second incident, down the road, no bridge: Guy in
SUV blasts the horn (road rage), I have second thoughts about taking
the lane... Third incident, riding against the curb, back on the
bridge: Yet another guy in SUV insistently blows the horn (without me
knowing what it means), I give him the finger, and he stops (road rage
escalation). He threatens to get off the car (he's much stronger than
me, plus he's in a 3 ton vehicle), and I try to get out of the
situation. He says he was trying to help me (he's playing vigilante)
by having me safely walk the bike on the sidewalk. We argue, he spits
at my face and takes off. Luckily no guns on either side. I don't
react to get his license plate, and wouldn't have made a difference
anyway. I never go for the puppet, but for the puppeteer...

Now suppose I had a gun: What should I have done? Isn't it better that
they built more bike facilities, and taught drivers to respect
cyclists? There was a policeman with the speed gun nearby (collection
time). I bet if they sent undercover policemen on bikes, the way
policewomen do hookers, none of that would have happened, or at least
it would be a step in the right direction, right? But they argue
there's no funds for that...

I went back to this bridge a few days ago and the sidewalk is so
narrow that is completely unrideable, and perhaps even unwalkable with
a bike. One step wrong and you fall into traffic. The police set up
these signs for no good reason, and any vigilante out there can feel
the need to fill the void. Never again back on that causeway which is
one major way to get to stores as well as parks with my bike. Now I
just drive or avoid the area altogether. And other major roads are
closed for me as well due to heavy (and chaotic) traffic.

Only law out there is the Law of the Jungle. Take meditation or take a
gun. Or go on the Internet and make a lot of noise about it. That's
the best weapon the monkey's got --besides the banana.

WHY THE BANANA REVOLUTION?
http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution