Old February 13th 20, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default OT. Anything BICYCLING related going on here? LOL

On 2/13/2020 3:08 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/13/2020 9:24 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/12/2020 8:28 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/12/2020 6:43 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Anyone here doing anything BICYCLING related?

Sort of. Yesterday I used my folding bike for a short ride.
Turns out the Cateye wireless cyclometer didn't register any
speed or distance. I'm hoping it's just that the sending
unit's battery needs replaced.

This has been a frequent irritation in cold weather. The 20"
wheels and the tall stem make the distance from sender to
display unit fairly large, but still within the supposed
range, according to the manual. But for years I'd have
problems with lost radio contact if the temperature dropped
below 40 F.

Last year or the year before, I decided it was because the
handlebar itself blocked the signal to some degree. I
fabricated a plastic mount to hold the display unit in front
of the handlebar. It seemed to be working until yesterday's
ride, which was right about freezing. I'll change the sender
battery and see if it helps.

But I'm at an age where I no longer enjoy riding much below
40 F. Today I'm fighting off a sore throat, which has been
my usual punishment for a cold weather ride. :-(

The triathlon world uses a computer mount which you can
fasten to the stem just below your handlebar to stay
within Cateye's wireless range.

https://www.backcountry.com/images/i...NOD0001/BK.jpg

I've played around with a couple other mounting alternatives
on this Bike Friday New World Tourist, pretty similar to
this bike:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/10/38...69f7796603.jpg

I first fabricated a mount like the one you showed to hold
the unit halfway down the stem. But the cyclometer was in an
unprotected position during the folding process and kept
getting knocked off. (That long stem pulls out of the
headset for folding, and just sort of hangs alongside the
folded bike.)

I tried zip-tying the cyclometer mount to the top of the
main frame tube, just behind the headset. But it's really
hard to read down there, especially now that I'm deep into
bifocal age. I've also played with locating the sender in
different places on the fork.

I think what I need is a couple parabolic antennas, one at
the sender pointing up, another at the display focused down.
Kind of like the microwave towers.

Interestingly, my wife's identical bike has a much cheaper
Echowell wireless cyclometer. Hers has no problem with cold
temperatures.

Or, that may not be your problem at all. Replacing both
batteries is often the solution, especially if they measure
below spec. A new CR2032 should show 3.25~3.3V.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/