Old February 13th 20, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default OT. Anything BICYCLING related going on here? LOL

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 11:07:50 -0500, Duane
wrote:

The texting idiots and then the SUV assholes that think their 4WD will
get them around the ice. Even when they do, pulling in front of
people without 4WD and forcing them into a slide is loads of fun. I
love when the SUV goes off the road without disturbing the ones
driving safely.

32 years ago, after a terrible winter in my old mini pickup, I bought a
Ford Bronco II and took delivery on Halloween, which it turned out was
appropriate for that vehicle. Never buying another Ford (the heads
cracked, the transmission bits and bobs disintegrated, etc.). First
time I drove it on icy conditions I came up to the corner, stepped on
the brake to turn and sailed right on through. That let me know that it
accelerated better but didn't stop or turn any better. Cost me a bent
rim since the opposite curb stopped me...

29 years later I bought a Suberu Impreza. Silly name, but the AWD in
that vehicle is light years ahead of the Bronco II's crude 4WD (with
manually locking hubs). The brakes are the best I have ever had in any
car. But it still doesn't stop better or turn better on ice. At least
I haven't had to learn it the hard way since then.

Here in Minnesota there is a tradition of really enlarging upon
opportunities for stupid driving in winter. Yes, she's going to drive
down this street at 50 mph on ice so I can run that yellow-oops-red
stoplight was the escapade I witnessed 30 minutes ago. And the guy
following me to the exit who had to pull out from behind me, accelerate
around, pull back into the exit lane with about two feet to spare
between my car and the car ahead of me- apparently because I was only
going 10 mph above the speed limit. Driving really reinforces my
cynicism and expectation that people will usually do the dumbest of the
available options most of the time.