Old February 15th 20, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Nederlander low gear innovation

On 2/14/2020 4:37 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

But can't we discuss? When is 1x more sensible than 2x? Or 3x? When is
it not? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

1x makes sense because now you never have to try and shift the side of the
chain that is under tension. So for people that want absolutely bulletproof
shifting even when applying full torque, I suppose it makes sense. It also
“decomplicates” the mental model of the gearing system. There’s only one
lever, and you can only go up or down. There’s no “shift up one in the
front and down two on the back” gyrations required. The price you pay is a
reduced gear range, which you can somewhat compensate for with a 9 tooth
gear on the rear cassette, which then requires other compromises. Modern
shifters have made front shifting a lot better than it used to be (and I
hear that Di2 front shifting is real nice), so I don’t see 1x as a Glory
Hallelujah type of breakthrough for the average cyclist. As a
touring/commuting kind of guy, I’ll still to my triple FD, since I usually
know what’s coming up ahead and I appreciate the wide gear range.

Thanks for a rational discussion!

--
- Frank Krygowski