Old February 16th 20, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Knocked off my Di2 RD

On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 9:26:13 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/16/2020 9:41 AM, wrote:
Because of the storm last week and the stormy wind last night and this morning there were a lot of tree branches and some trees on the trails. After dodging the branches for an hour the **** hit the fan and a branche was caught in my drivetrain and knocked my RD off. Fortunately the replaceable hanger broke off as it should and the control wire just popped out. After untangling the mess I removed the RD and single speeded my bike and just rode home. For Tom I could still operate my FD with a detached RD cable. I had a spare derailleur hanger at home and it was all fixed in 10 minutes. Popped the wire back in and it was up and running again, no adjustment needed. I will put a spare derailleur hanger in my tool 'water bottle' because this repair is easily done on the road/track in which case I would be able to continue my ride. Friend took some pictures:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cCG6om3oM4ght2r58

That looks rugged.

I assume you shortened the chain to keep riding? Good thing you had that
tool.

--
- Frank Krygowski

That chain tool and 'grown up' allen keys 4 and 5 mm are the only tools I carry when off road. Combined with spare quicklink, a couple of zip ties spare tube an 2 CO2 cartridges is enough to keep me going or get me home without calling a 'cab'. Todays misfortune proved that again.

Lou