Old February 17th 20, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default School kids rarely ride bicycle anymore, why?

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 15:27:37 -0800, Joerg

On 2020-02-16 15:11, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 14:57:04 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

On Friday afternoon during a road bike ride I came by two schools right
at the time when they were letting out. The bike lane was full of parked
cars hurumph ... grumble which is probably legal in California
although I'd never do that. All nice cars, bought by dad I guess. Then
there was a large file of cars with soccer moms and dads in there. A few
school buses here and there. Kids on bicycles? Zip, nada, not one. Same
at the next school and that even had two pick-up lanes.

Why?

When I grew up at least half the high school students living more than
walking distance away commuted by bicycle. So did I and my siblings. And
we didn't catch the sniffles the minute winter broke out, we just rode
through the snow.

When I went to school all the kids that lived within 1 mile of the
school walked - over 1 mile there was a school bus. No matter the
weather, Walk!

1mi is peanuts, they all walked at our school as well. Too much hassle
to unlock and then re-lock a bicycle for that. I had about 5mi. As the
proud owner of a 10-speed (cheap department store version) I felt like
riding a Porsche.

When you are 6 years old a mile is quite a long way :-0

I usually rode in jeans and shirt, regardless of weather. Still ride
that way except now it's jeans shorts and T-shirt. Temperature
regulation via crank torque, when it is cold I get home faster.

... I remember during the colder part of the year, and we
did have cold weather in up-state New Hampshire, the girls all wore
trousers under their skirts while walking back and forth to school and
removed them while in school. For some reason that was considered as
quite sexy :-)

You guys must have had a weird taste :-)

Remember that was in the "long ago times", when even the glimpse of a
bra strap was quite exciting :-)
--
cheers,

John B.