Old February 17th 20, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default School kids rarely ride bicycle anymore, why?

On Monday, February 17, 2020 at 12:27:04 AM UTC, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/16/2020 4:57 PM, Joerg wrote:
On Friday afternoon during a road bike ride I came by two
schools right at the time when they were letting out. The
bike lane was full of parked cars hurumph ... grumble
which is probably legal in California although I'd never do
that. All nice cars, bought by dad I guess. Then there was a
large file of cars with soccer moms and dads in there. A few
school buses here and there. Kids on bicycles? Zip, nada,
not one. Same at the next school and that even had two
pick-up lanes.

Why?

When I grew up at least half the high school students living
more than walking distance away commuted by bicycle. So did
I and my siblings. And we didn't catch the sniffles the
minute winter broke out, we just rode through the snow.

In my paper last week, noting that Alaska is back to normal
cold after a few warm years (minus 30F straight through
January), the superintendent of schools for Juneau said "We
don't close for weather."

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Unlike British Rail which closes for "an unexpected kind of leaves on the rail" as well as "a different sort of snow on the rail".

Andre Jute
And then there was the Irish plumber who promised to turn up on Thursday, and did, only it was a Thursday a year later...