Old August 13th 03, 10:55 PM
Mike S.

Default Orientation of brakes

"Rick Onanian" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 07:14:54 GMT, wrote:
I think this has morphed into how to shift. The claim was that riders
shift so often that braking and shifting conflict. This is like the

No, that wasn't the claim at all. I claimed not that
I shift so often that it will coincedentally conflict
with braking, but rather, that I often find myself
needing or wanting to shift and brake nearly
simultaneously.

That is especially common when it's necessary to
downshift in order to be prepared to resume moving
after braking to a stop sign or red light. If you
never need to do this, you have extremely strong
legs and knees, and/or are always planning ahead
quite perfectly.

claim that hand signals interfere with braking. This may be true for
speeds above 40mph but hand signals are easily and properly given
before braking for a left turn (I assume from the left lane and in
front of cars).

Left turning is a whole other animal. We could
discuss methods for it, but suffice it to say
that I've found patterns that work for me.

Jobst Brandt

Palo Alto CA

--
Rick Onanian