Old May 27th 20, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

Default Favorite biking snacks?

On Tue, 26 May 2020 13:58:38 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

What are people's preferences for on-bike snacks?

When we lived in New York, and all my rides were mostly rural, I
carried High Calorie Muffins: one cup of sunflower seeds, one cup of
raisins, one cup of self-rising mixed edible powder, enough something
or the other to make a batter. Over-ripe bananas were good.

I soon got tired of dividing the dough into fifteen muffin cups (or
was it two dozen?), but baking it as a cake made crumbly slices.
Eventually I realized that I needed to bake it in a *big* pan, so that
the bottom crust could hold the bars together.

When fresh Stanley prunes were in season, I left a trail of plum pits
on many a tour. Stanley prunes were just big enough to take in one
bite, and prunes don't shrink much when dried, so the fresh prunes
were chock full of sugar. I haven't seen fresh prunes of any breed in
a couple of decades.

I also made pocket cookies: "flour" one's hand with sesame seed when
forming Oatmeal Crispies into long rolls, and make the rolls very
thin. Freeze, cut quarter-inch slices, and bake. Being small, they
didn't go to crumbs in my pocket; being essentially oatmeal glued
together with butter and brown sugar, they were good fuel. And they
were tasty enough to delay a tandem team who were catching up to a
tandem ridden by a couple of friends -- who had been likewise delayed.

Here, back when I was allowed to ride*, I liked to stop for fuel along
the way. It's amusing that gas stations are often the most-convenient
places to do that. There's a bar over the Barbee Hotel that has
excellent single-serving pizza, and I enjoyed eating at Stacy's Sports
Bar before it caught fire. They rebuilt, but the food was always a
bit heavy -- sometimes I took home supper for two -- and there are two
gas stations nearby.

So an emergency food bar can be carried around for weeks or months
before it's eaten, so I buy "protein bars" (candy bars) and "fruit and
grain bars" (cookies) at Aldi. I forgot them once, thought I could
buy some comparatively-expensive bars at Kroger, and was in full
despair before I realized that I could buy bananas.

A banana and a snack bag of nuts makes a nice lunch.

Sometimes I carried a dried-beef sandwich and a fresh tomato to slice
onto it. On one memorable occasion, I carried a can of potted meat
(or maybe it was chicken salad) and sandwich makings. I didn't think
I needed a can opener because the meat was in a wrench-and-flip can,
but I cut my finger on the microserrated edge wrenchflipping leaves,
and bled like a stuck pig. It's really, really hard to open a
first-aid kit with one hand raised high above your head with the thumb
firmly pressed on the index finger! I did finally manage to get a
band-aid on it.

---------------------------------

*I managed to keep in something resembling shape all winter, then
suddenly there was nowhere to go, then I gleefully read that one of my
favorite destinations had curb service, but before I could take
advantage, my doctor ordered me to refrain from bending -- for two
days, lying flat was too strenuous. I saw him today: I can resume
sciatica exercises if I'm very, very careful, but no showers and no
bike riding -- and I didn't even tell them I have a road bike in
addition to the pedestrian accellerator she was probably thinking of
when I asked.

I see him again in eight days, to get the dressing off my nose.
Please, get that dressing off my nose!

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net