Old June 1st 20, 06:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Favorite biking snacks?

On 29/5/20 12:38 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/28/2020 7:51 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 2:50:43 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 27/5/20 3:58 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Riffing off the "bonk" thread:

For most of my family's bicycling career (now approaching 50 years) we
took various snacks along on rides greater than 25 miles or so. But
somehow, with changes in life and changes in riding habits, we seem to
have gotten out of that snack habit.

On a couple of recent mid-30 miler rides on country roads, my wife
didn't bonk, but she certainly ran out of steam. During one of them, I
happened to find a gel packet buried in my bag, so I gave her that. It
helped noticeably; so we should get back to carrying snacks.

But I'd prefer something a little more like food, a little less like a
medical infusion. Since we're no longer performance riders, actually
stopping the bike to eat would be OK. even though on solo rides I
prefer
to keep moving.

What are people's preferences for on-bike snacks?

Bananas and fruit cake.

One benefit of fruit cake (if it is the typical US Christmas fruit
cake) is that you can use it to boot tire casing cuts or throw at
threatening mountain lions -- or dingos or angry koalas. I think you
can even use to mend carbon fiber.

Wow, so like JB weld and rubber?

No, the fruit cake we have is moist and packed full of juicy plumb
sultanas, currents and raisins, etc. I cut pieces of about 2 mouthfuls
each, and wrap them as individual serves in aluminium foil. Easy to
extract from the back pocket of my jersey and unwrap and eat without
stopping.

I actually love the fruit cake one family member gives me every
Christmas. And it does seem like it would be good for riding fuel.

I'm appreciating all the ideas, folks. Thanks.

You're welcome.

--
JS