Old May 24th 04, 06:29 PM
Peter Tillotson

Default The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

Mark Thompson wrote:
| This has always been my greatest fear. That one day the buggers will
| realise that they only need to spend a bit more money on cycle
| farcilities and then vote us off the road altogether.

But why - if the road has no attached cycle way you could go on the
road, if it does it'll be better than the road (for security anyway).
I suppose you might say that drivers will get used to not having to
think about cyclists so will be worse when they have to share, but
separate lanes will get many more cycling and we just might end up
like Holland and Denmark.

It's 'cos impatient/late buggers like me like to get there at more than
12mph. On my (v. short) commute I try and keep my speed at 20mph. There's
no way I could do that on most cycle paths and it would be the height of
stupidity to do it on a shared use footpath, even if it was deserted enough
to be possible.

Added to the reduction in speed negotiating junctions would be more time
consuming. On the road I can just do a left turn, right turn or go
straight ahead at speed (if nothing coming). On a cyclepath I'd have to
slow down a lot/stop to let traffic past and check it was clear when I
could just sail past with right of way on the road.

I don't find the roads unsafe and do find many cycle lanes off the road too
slow to bother with. Trundlies may have a different view I s'pose.

Cycle lanes also have the irritating habit of stoping at every road
junction. I don't mind cycle lanes, as long as they are well designed
and recognise that cyclist like to maintain momentum.

I think we need to start educating the car drivers, report everyone
comes too close or cuts you up. It'd be nice to take snaps of the number
plate, get home and automatically get a list sent to the local police.

A few producers may get em thinking