Old December 6th 05, 04:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default True wheel has slack spoke, doesn't stay true

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 07:31:54 -0800, Tad Marko wrote:

The rear wheel, however, has been a real pain. I have one spoke that is
one spoke away from the weld on the non-drive side that only has a few
kg of force on it. No matter what I do, if the other spokes are
tensioned properly and the wheel is round and true, this one spoke will
only have a little force on it.

The rim has a flat spot. Not really uncommon at the seam. You can try to
push it out some; people have suggested removing the spokes in that area
and pressing the rim out with a car jack. I haven't actually tried that,
though. You might also construct a jig with the proper curvature to
re-shape the rim. Or get another rim.

true even through one ride, and I suspect that this plus the aluminum
nipples has something to do with this.

Well, aluminum nipples and Revolution spokes do make the wheel harder to
tension properly.

Should I just accept a bit out of roundness on that part of the wheel to
get some tension there, or are there any other suggestions?

Barring surgery on the rim itself, I'd seriously look at replacing the
right side spokes with something more substantial, and use brass nipples
there. Then you can get adequate tension on the wheel.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | I believe that the motion picture is destined to revolutionize
_`\(,_ | our educational system and that in a few years it will supplant
(_)/ (_) | largely, if not entirely, the use of textbooks -- Thomas
Edison, 1922