Old December 7th 05, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default True wheel has slack spoke, doesn't stay true

David L. Johnson wrote:

The rim has a flat spot. Not really uncommon at the seam. You can try to
push it out some; people have suggested removing the spokes in that area
and pressing the rim out with a car jack. I haven't actually tried that,
though. You might also construct a jig with the proper curvature to
re-shape the rim.

I've removed flat spots from my rims several times. It didn't take a
car jack. I used a bench vise and blocks of wood.

I took a piece of 1" x 4" board, perhaps 10" long, and fastened a block
cut from 2" x 4" on each end. The blocks have an angled surface, to
match the rim's angle. This supports a span of the rim from the
outside. Another block of wood presses against the flat spot on the
inside (i.e. hub side), with several spokes removed for clearance.

The sandwich fits into my bench vise. I tighten bit by bit, loosening
occasionally to check if I've moved the rim enough. It's a bit fussy,
but not too bad. Way easier than buying new components and building a
new wheel, and much cheaper.

- Frank Krygowski