Old July 22nd 20, 07:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_3_]

Default An adjustable wrench, a pair of pliers, and a literally-cool head

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 23:16:49 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 10:08:02 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I'm not sure if it would solve any problems but I have changed every
bolt on my bicycles to Allen (Hex) head and carry, if I remember
correctly, 4, Allen wrenches that will everything and all together
make up a package that , what? An ounce or so in weight and will fit
nearly anyplace.

I once tried to change all my bolts to metric. It proved to be
impossible, partly because there was a poor selection of metric
stainless bolts.

I did get stuff down to where a six mm wrench, an eight mm wrench, and
a crescent wrench would handle it. Then I lost the decades-refined
tool kit by trusting a bungee cord to hold it, and it still hasn't
regenerated. I can't even find a saddle bag to keep it in! There is
nothing between "one spare tube" and "enough clothes to tour the
world."

I replaced the patch kit and the spare tube with the phone number of
FastCab. Haven't needed to call them yet, but I've summoned my spouse
a few times.

Several years ago, we had the hardest time locating each other in a
wee tiny town. At length we both spotted the gazebo that was all
there was to the town park, and met there.

On my bikes there are only, counting the seat post clamp bolt and the
tiny little adjustment screws on my Shimano M324 pedals, 4 different
size bolts used. I switched them all to Allen heads - I was lucky
there was a shop that stocked every size of Nut/bolt/screw imaginable
on the way to town - and on one bike I carry a 1/2" open end wrench
that I cut down and drilled holes in to make it lighter for the Stem
wedge bolt. All together they weigh less then 2 ounces and are in a
tiny about 4" x 1" packet. They and two inner tubes, CO2 adapter and
two tire tools all fit in a little "seat bag".
--
Cheers,

John B.