Old August 2nd 20, 07:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default Bicycle Security News

On Sun, 02 Aug 2020 12:19:07 +0700, John B. wrote:

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 03:31:43 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Sun, 02 Aug 2020 07:16:03 +0700, John B. wrote:

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 12:13:18 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 9:12:01 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
or maybe fake news

https://cyclingindustry.news/scienti...roof-material-

well-suited-to-bike-security/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

I wonder if a battery angle grinder could cut it?

Andy

There was a youtube of cutting a plate made from the "stuff" and the
angle grinder seemed to cut it pretty well but the wheel wore very
rapidly.
https://bgr.com/2020/07/21/uncuttabl...cutting-tools/

But I wonder what happens when you attack it with a 4 ft set of bolt
cutters?

It will not be cut. Wrinkled maybe, You need shears to cut it.
Bolt cutters are good for cutting bolts, steel rod, etc. Not so good on
your hands.

Look at the O.P. site. It shows a rather fat bicycle cable lock. No
reason that it wouldn't fit a set of bolt cutters. Bolt cutters with,
say, 30 inch handles - RTDGID S30 - will cut some fairly thick cables
:-)

IME, bolt cutters do well with bolts and I've used some that are as heavy
as a bicycle. They can also 'launch' any loose section of bolt like a
projectile.

However, the results on cable vary greatly as there is a tendency to
separate into distinct wires or mini-cables with only some of the wires
just be crushed. OTOH, I've never been mad enough to attempt cutting any
cable under high tension. IMO, an angle grinder would be a better way.

As to 'bicycle locks' I'm wondering exactly what they are talking about.
Is it the 'lock' part, aka 'brass' section, or as your implying the
'cable'

Then there s also the question of the intelligence of the bicycle thief
who sometimes t s quicker to cut off/up the item it is locked to.

I also remember an expensive 'unpickable' bicycle lock (krypyonite?) that
could be open by the end of a Bic biro n much the same manner as thse
automated lock picks work cylinder locks.