Old May 24th 19, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Bottle holder

On 5/23/2019 5:28 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 23 May 2019 07:49:10 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 5/22/2019 10:56 PM, sms wrote:
On 5/22/2019 7:59 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

Ok, I yield. A V-block won't work on a finished bicycle
frame. I
tend to think in terms of what can be done on a drill
press or milling
machine. As you might suspect, I've never used Rivnuts on
an a frame.
Water Bottle Mount Drill Jig
https://www.steintool.com/portfolio-items/water-bottle-mount-drill-jig/

snip

Good idea to use this kind of tool to keep the bit straight
and to prevent it from wandering, since you probably don't
want to use a center punch on an aluminum frame. Also to
achieve proper spacing. You could use this on a finished
frame with a right-angle drill.

One person wrote: "I found that a standard power drill was
difficult to align on the cylindrical steel tube; the bit
tended to drift around the tube. Even after I created a
small pilot hole for each boss, the bigger drill bit shifted
to the side a little. In the end, once the cage was bolted
in place, I realized that one of the bosses was misaligned
along its cylindrical axis. Fortunately, it wasn’t off by
much, but it tweaked the alignment ever so slightly and
caused the cage to twist."

Of course if you do go the Rivnut route you also want to
ensure that you seal everything so moisture can't get in
since you won't be painting the frame afterward.

"don't want to use a center punch on an aluminum frame."
Why ever not?

"drill bit shifted to the side a little."
With a centerpunch dimple and a drill sharpened to be
symmetric they don't walk.

Ah but... it sounds as though your shop can sharpen a drill bit, but
from what I read here it is a very difficult task that only certain
shops can accomplish :-)

Perhaps the subject got an advert? We can sharpen a drill bit!

Geez. Who can't sharpen a drill bit??

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/