Old July 31st 13, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

Default Update on the cyclist that mowed down the child on the crossing

On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 07:57:58 +0100, "Mrcheerful"
wrote:

A little more info. but the child is still critical.
Acting sergeant Lee Savage told the Daily Echo on Friday: "We know that a
pedal cyclist coming from the direction of Canford Cliffs village towards
Branksome collided with a nine-year-old crossing the road at the crossing.

"The pedal cyclist then got off his bike, picked it up and walked into the
nearby gardens."

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/new...ei la_Crofts/

It looks like the crossing is this one:
http://goo.gl/maps/IqDMA

There appears to be a steep hill leading down to the crossing from the
north / northeast. I can see that it would be a temptation for a
cyclist to gather speed downhill in order to make it up the shorter
and less steep hill leading to the southwest of the crossing.

If I were to speculate on the cause of the accident, my money would be
on the cyclist going too fast downhill, and being unable to control
his bike on the bend with children on the crossing. Irrespective of
the phase of light at the time of the crash, the cyclist is wholly to
blame (if my speculation is correct). Fleeing the scene is
unforgivable, though the cyclist has partly redeemed himself by giving
himself up at the police station.

If my speculation is correct, I would hope that any judge would
consider a custodial sentence for the cyclist. I know it would be rare
for a motor vehicle driver to receive anything other than a short ban
and modest fine for this sort of reckless behaviour and cowardly
fleeing from the scene, but as cyclists I think that we should be held
to a higher standard of behaviour.

Next time I pass an RNLI charity box I will donate a fiver out of
gratitude for the assistance they gave to the young victim, and shame
the reckless and cowardly cyclist has brought upon other cyclists.