Old April 12th 19, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Cyclists triggering red light cameras

On 4/12/2019 5:01 PM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 11:50:23 +0200, Sepp Ruf
wrote:

James wrote:
On 12/4/19 4:21 pm, AK wrote:
On Thursday, April 11, 2019 at 9:25:43 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
On 12/4/19 9:07 am, AK wrote:
I was looking up whether a cyclist can get a ticket.

And found this

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...391955121.html

I see a lot of cyclists running stop signs.

That sets a bad example.

Many motorists complain about cyclists running red lights, so
researchers did some researching.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/01/...an-drivers-do/

Bad examples aside, it is also worth remembering that someone on a
bicycle who disobeys a red light really only puts themselves at
risk. I'm yet to read of a car v bike crash where the car driver
suffers injuries other than perhaps psychological.

However when a motorist disobeys a red light they endanger all other
road users and themselves.

There is a distinct difference in the level of risk.

I think you are forgetting some things.

If a cyclist blows thru a red light and is struck by a car, don't you
think the driver will be at least a tad bit traumatized?

Read again what I wrote.

Yeah, but why doesn't anybody ever think of the children or the dog in the back?

There is no valid excuse for cyclists to run lights and stop signs.

Yes there is. There are many places I've encountered where the buried
vehicle sensors do not reliably detect bicycles, and as a consequence it
is necessary to ignore the lights and proceed with caution.

A former life insurance CEO, trained mathematician, just got killed by a
drunk motorist, wife badly injured, obediently waiting at a stoplight with
their pedelecs. They should have kept moving. Great against muggers, too.

http://www.tellerreport.com/news/--hit-by-drunk--w%C3%BCstenrot-board-heinen-dies-after-a-traffic-accident-.SyxCy3XcYE.html

And while I am at it....

Cyclists should ride close to the curb while in bike lanes.

"Daddy, look, another clueless gutter bunny!"

I have seen some who ride close to the car lane and have been clipped
by a cars side mirror.

Ride squarely in the "car lane" if the "bike" lane is unsafely narrow or
blocked.

Hmm... I habitually ride on highways that do not have a reserved
bicycle lane and where the majority of the traffic is traveling at
speeds greater then 100 kph. Are you suggesting that I ride squarely
in the "car lane"?

Whenever there is a contest between car and bike, the outcome is ALWAYS
the same. The cyclist loses. It don't matter if you had the right of
way, etc.

Oh dear. You probably won't be very popular with a number of people who
chat on this news group with opinions like that.

AK scientist had already triggered some troll alert lamps.

Ah, you are saying that when a car and bicycle contest the way that
the bicycle comes off best? If so than there are a whole lot of folks
who have had horrible bad luck as in every bicycle crash recounted on
this site, over the years, the bicycle has always come off the worst.

One of our customers, a very fit woman in her 50s, was hit
in an intersection, rolled through the windshield and
instinctively punched the driver square in his face. She
was fine but for bruises.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/