Old June 1st 04, 01:33 PM
vernon levy

Default Getting more expensive.

They said my cracked crank was probably due to overtightening the bottom
bracket bolt. So a set of Campag Sciroccos and new crank is going to set

me
back 230 quid. Oh well , it's only money
;-)

Commiserations.
Sometimes bargains are not lways what they seem. The Carrera mountain bike
that I bought from new needed a new chain set within a year because the
Suntour equipment was too soft and led to chain suck. The rings were not
repalceable so a Deore set was installed along with a new chain and cassette
to ensure minimal premature wear. Thankfully the cost was not as great as
yours though I'm getting there with the front and rear derraileurs bought
for the Galaxy as there's plenty of slop in the mechanisms and I don't want
to leave anything to chance when I do the LeJoG this year.

I'm sure bikes and their ancilliaries were more rubust when I was a lad :-)
There again they were probably over weight and over engineered too.

As I type this I realised that I have spent more in a year on replacement
parts for my bikes than I have in the past three years for my car. In fact I
have spent more on bikes in the past 18 months than I have on my car
including it's purchase but excluding fuel. And I though cycling was cheap!

Vernon
rudely awakend from his complacency about the cheapness of cycling :-)