Old June 2nd 04, 03:48 PM
John Rees

Default Advice for first bike: new or used (specialized allez elite vs cannondale r2000)

om...

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/409afe82...ZPOvABkWXm2Vy8

| I ruled out the Giant OCR1 since it didnt seem to fit as well.
|
| Assuming both bikes fit me well, which would you go for? I think most
| would say go for the new bike, but I think the cannondale might be a
| better deal. I still have my '94 cannon MTB and I think they make good
| stuff; brother swears by specialized. Either way, Im going to be
| happy.

My opinion is the Cannondale is the better bike for road riding and the
Tri you want it for. But not well suited for loaded touring.

Take a look at these (or any bike) and ask yourself how you are going to
put a rack and panniers on the bike. The Cannondale is a CAAD4 frame,
and although there appear to be small holes on the rear dropouts for
mounting a rack, the length of the chanistays make a rack and bags
uncomfortable. They are too short and you will be kicking the panniers
with your heels all the time.

Touring bikes tend to have a longer wheelbase, and a lot of that is in
the distance between the seat tube and the rear hub.

The Specialized has front and rear rack mounts.But, it's hard to imagine
putting much on either end. It has a compact frame and short chainstays
as well. Racing bikes make uncomfortable tourers. Not only will you be
having troubles with the bags, but it will be pretty twitchy with all
that weight on it.

Since you appear to be just a recreational or entry level triathlete, I
recommend getting a bike that is more suited for touring and simply pull
off all the unnecessary bits for the Tri to save weight. If you can
only get one bike, that is the better direction to head.

On the other had, if the touring thing is still just in the 'thinking
about it' stage, ask yourself if you're really going to tour and camp
with a bike. If you really aren't, back to the Cannondale. Nice bike,
and maybe you can talk the price down a smidgeon.