Old June 4th 04, 02:15 PM
David L. Johnson

Default Advice for first bike: new or used (specialized allez elite vs cannondale r2000)

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 12:31:16 -0700, Matt Bouchard wrote:

I firstly wanted to know if buying a used bike for my first, was a bad
idea. Since no one mentioned that, then I think everyone agrees its
ok. I didnt know how much bikes have changed over five years, but it
looks like the Cannondale is still a good bike.

Things have changed some over 5 years, but not so much at this price
level. The big thing, the only thing, to worry about is fit. With a new
bike you can get the right size with a little work. They will often swap
out stems in order to improve the fit, and maybe swap saddles to suit. A
used bike, OTOH, doesn't allow you to change anything. If it fits
_perfectly_, go for it. If not, get the new one.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The common
_`\(,_ | welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and
(_)/ (_) | benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade
were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my
business!" --Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"