Old September 22nd 03, 09:17 PM
Ian Smith

Default MA3 rim failure, where to now

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:05:02 GMT, Simon Brooke wrote:

Jobst, I respect, and as far as I can see Guy respects, your technical
knowledge of what happens in spokes in a wheel. But you _cannot_ abuse
the English language in this way. You can 'hang from' a structural
element which is in tension, but you cannot - you absolutely _cannot_
'stand on' it. Nor can you 'stand on' something which has no mechanism
other than tension to keep it in column.

But it's an ever greater abuse of teh english language to say
something 'hangs from' an object below it.

Do you hanbg from a chair when you sit on it? Do you hang from teh
floor when you stand up? If so, I'd lay off whatever it is you're
smoking.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig