Old May 24th 04, 09:17 AM
John Hearns

Default The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

On Sun, 23 May 2004 23:07:10 +0100, Tumbleweed wrote:

One must also take responsibility for ones own safety. If there was a
section of road that you believe was dangerous, why not get off before it
and walk past that bit? Surely its madness to cycle on a bit of road you
believe to be dangerous, just because someone painted the words 'cycle lane'
on it?

True.
However, I've commuted in London a lot, and I have used that lane
when I've gone over that bridge (not commuting). I remember thinking it
was pretty dangerous.
The reason you do want to stay in that lane is the junction at the end.
There are three lanes, the left one is a left-turn-only onto Embankment.
So you stay in the lane to avoid a late cross over to the right.

Another point to make is about beginning cyclists - they will naturally
follow the cycle lanes. They won't have your level of experience in
deciding yay or nay to ignore the lane to keep yourself safe.