Old December 13th 08, 10:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.rides
Chalo

Default Minnesota Winters

Jeff Grippe wrote:

I live in Seattle and moved here from Tucson. I can say that I would
rather ride bikes in Tucson for any one of a number of reasons. Tucson
streets are much wider even if there isn't a bike lane than Seattle
streets. Tucson is also much flatter than Seattle if you want it, but
you can still get hills if you want as well. The USPS Team trains
there climbing Mt Lemon. Tucson has less rain, but when it is raining,
I'd rather be in Seattle. The rain in Tucson is monsoon as a rule, and
is usually well over 1" an hour, whereas Seattle is pouring if it is
more than 1/2" an hour. Not to mention there is drainage for regular
rain in Seattle in the streets, but none in Tucson.

Then there is the sun and abundence of amazing Mexican food in Tucson.

I'll take the Tucson drivers too.

I spent several years in Seattle before returning to my hometown of
Austin. My impression of cycling in the two cities is thus: It's
generally easier and better to ride bike in Austin. The terrain is a
lot more forgiving and the weather is loads better. But a lot more
people ride bike in Seattle, so all the social infrastructure is
better sorted out-- bike shops, bike clubs, bike events. There are
better bike paths around town. Even the car drivers in Seattle are
more prepared to deal with cyclists.

It's a funny coincidence that Austin and Seattle receive almost the
same amount of precipitation per year. Seattle gets it spread out
over 200 days or so. Austin seems to receive just a small handful of
awe-inspiring biblical deluges per year. When I moved to Seattle, I
was struck by how poorly worked out the street drainage was. In the
flatter areas it is common to have water pool up in the street. If
Austin had Seattle's storm drainage, people would die as a result.

The Mexican food situation in Seattle is dreary, but the Vietnamese
and Ethiopian food can't be beat. Don't waste the opportunity. These
are cuisines that few cities get exactly right.

If you ride the Burke-Gilman trail up to Bothell, surprisingly there
are a couple of decent Mexican restaurants right around where the B-G
ends and the Lake Sammamish Trail takes up. El Quetzal on Beacon Ave
is another excellent place to scratch your Mexican food itch.

Chalo