Old December 21st 08, 12:38 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default December Cold in Minnesota

In article
,
Jorg Lueke wrote:

On Dec 20, 1:08*am, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,
*Johnny Borborigmi wrote:

On Dec 18, 2:05*am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

Well, as you can tell, I am starting to go crazy from the cold.
Any of you who are living in more moderate climes should count
your blessings. Right about now, I would give my soul for a
little warmth. My advice to anyone reading these forlorn words
of mine is that if you are still young make it your life's work
to find a decent climate to live in. You do not want to end up
like me, cursing the weather every day of your life.

Well We're getting hammered right now with a big storm here in
NY. 7+ inches so far. Probably 9-10 before it's over. It's 20
degrees F. currently as I type this. No bike riding for me!

Minnesota is in line for getting it tomorrow- 6-10" here and up to
12" towards the Iowa border. *On the upside, we've been in a
drought for a long time and are still 7-8" short on rainfall over
much of the state, so this will be helpful for the 2009 growing
season.

My bikes are put away in the winter. *Even with studded tires, it's
no fun riding when you're surrounded by ground missiles that are
barely under the control of their operators. *The standards of
winter driving around here have been declining for years- a
combination of an aging population, a significant influxleas of
people seeing snow for the first times in their lives, and repeated
budget cutting for road repair and maintenance because low taxes
are more important than a functioning infrastructure...

At least 6" so far, next comes the wind and the sub zero temps :-) I
think I will skip the Timberwolves game, but it's good sledding
weather.

I went to a jazz workshop at 12:30 and it was a minor slog over snow
covered roads and highways (I-94 and I-35W), but not too bad. I did see
that there were four or five cars that had spun off the road, collided,
etc. on eastbound I-94 between the Mississippi River bridge and
Cretin-Vandalia in St. Paul. At 4:15 when I left the workshop to go
home, the wind had picked up and the temperatures felt much colder- it's
dropped 13 degrees F since 1:00PM to 8F now, and will be dropping to 2F
tonight and -14F tomorrow night. Sigh. I'm not a real Minnesotan and I
don't enjoy this stuff.